Friday, October 5, 2012

School Days

I am mourning the loss of summer, say it's not so. I do love the beautiful fall colors, crisp morning air and fun Halloween festivities but I'm always sad to see the lazy days at the pool end. Never ready to say goodbye to the summer sun.

Time for early mornings, long school days for our big first grader, busy schedules (running to soccer practice, piano lessons, etc.), homework (for mom & dad too) and the sun setting way too early. Back to school is always an exciting, much anticipated change but very BUSY nonetheless.

Here he is on DAY 1
Look, he even has a locker with his name on it. Way TOO grown up!

And Mr. Mason's day finally came a couple weeks later. Preschool, round 2, but with cousins Daxon and Alec this year. SO FUN! And 4 days a week for 3 hours - woo hoo for mom, what will I ever do with myself with no boys?? Oh I will find plenty.
Look at those darling, handsome, oh-so-cool dudes!
 
Side Note: Don't let the smiles fool you. After the initial excitement wore off, it was all tears and anxiety about school every morning (and STILL is most mornings). Adjustment to all-day 1st grade has been brutal for Christian. I've had to deal with him faking sick and actually making himself physically sick, hiding, running, kicking and screaming - all over going to school in the morning. All he will say is "It's too long" and "I miss you." But once he is there, he loves it. He has tons of friends and is really smart. He comes home every day saying it was great and fun, and then the same anxiety appears again in the morn. I expect this behavior from our wild man Mason but this is new with Christian. It's been ROUGH. We've tried bribes, prayers, trickery...any other suggestions are welcome. PLEASE SHARE your ideas. We are desperate here people! Hoping this month will be better.
Mason is full of excuses: "I don't like school 'cause when the teachers make me stand up and sit down, it makes me so tired." It's in the most dramatic, drawn out voice. That's my favorite one.

No comments: